Giorgio Armani refers to the Italian fashion designer based in Milan and New York. Armani opened his first fashion house in 1974 and, although well respected within his industry, rose
to fame after dressing Richard Gere in the 1980 film American Gigolo.
Giorgio Armani (born 11 July 1934) is an Italian fashion designer, particularly noted for his menswear.
Giorgio Armani was born in Piacenza, Emilia-Romagna. He originally trained in medicine, then gave it up to pursue photography, before being called up for national service in 1957. He then worked in a department store, La Rinascente, as a window dresser. From 1961 to 1970, Armani worked as a designer in well-known fashion house Nino Cerruti, after which he left to pursue freelance work. In 1974, with his partner Sergio Galeotti, he established Giorgio Armani S.p.A. with a menswear label, introducing a womenswear line in 1975. His sister Rosanna Armani joined him in the company; Galeotti died of AIDS in 1985.
Giorgio Armani is also known as being a fan of Inter Milan. In fact, according to reports, in 2006 there was a possibility that he would be new Inter's president. He is, however, president of the Milan basketball team.
He is known today for his clean, tailored lines. He achieved his international breakthrough by tailoring for numerous Hollywood names and especially for Richard Gere in the title role of American Gigolo in 1980. Armani was also noted for building a mansion on the Caribbean island of Antigua, and being among the first designers to ban models with a body mass index (BMI) under 18 (the minimum healthy BMI), after model Ana Carolina Reston starved herself to death due to anorexia nervosa. In January 2007 Armani has become the first designer to broadcast an haute couture fashion show live on the Internet. The haute couture Armani Prive spring/summer 2007 fashion show was broadcast via Microsoft Corporation's MSN and Cingular cellular phones.
In 2001, Forbes named Giorgio Armani the most successful Italian designer, estimating his net worth at $1.7 billion. The following year he was appointed as a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.
In 2007, Armani was named the "Best Dressed Environmentalist" by the Sustainable Style Foundation. In 2006, he designed the ceremonial Italian flag-bearers' outfits at the 2006 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony in Turin, Italy.
In 2006, Forbes once again named Giorgio Armani the most successful Italian designer. His net worth was $4.1 billion.
England's Chelsea and Hong Kong's South China are the only two football teams being sponsored by Giorgio Armani.
Giorgio Armani has launched numerous lines over the years including:
- Armani Exchange (A|X): The affordable collection was created in 1991 and is available in its 63 American boutiques & 45 international boutiques.
- Armani Jeans: Created in 1981. The second-most inexpensive Armani Line features its denim collection. Other than denim, the brand also creates clothes for men and women. The normal average price of their jeans is around $195. It can be purchased in America at certain Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Bloomingdales stores. The Armani Jeans label has 30 boutiques in Europe & Asia.
- Armani Casa: The high-end home collection by Armani features furniture, lamps, linens, and dining essentials. The Home Collection is expensively priced. For example, the highly acclaimed Tchaikowski Armchair retails at $9,985. Armani Casa is available at its 40 worldwide boutiques and select Neiman Marcus stores.
- Armani Junior: This line that features clothing for children. It can be purchased at its 15 worldwide boutiques and select Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue stores.
- Emporio Armani: A more youthful inspired Armani Line that markets for younger adults. The line is the third-least expensive Armani Brand and can be bought at its 13 American boutiques and over 140 worldwide boutiques, making it the largest distributed Armani brand.
- Armani Collezioni: The high end collection line of Giorgio Armani features clothing for men and women geared at the more professional lifestyle. In America, it is available only in high-end department stores and has 13 worldwide boutiques.
- Giorgio Armani The Armani signature label is the most expensive Armani label and is available in its 75 worldwide boutiques.
- Armani Prive: Armani's haute couture line made history being the first haute couture Paris fashion show to be streamed live online. The label is strictly made to wear and not available for purchase in stores but can be ordered and tailored at a very high price.
- Armani Cosmetics: The beauty brand by Armani features cosmetics, skin care, perfumes, and colognes. It is available at many department stores worldwide and has very few boutiques.
The bottom 37 floors of the Burj Dubai skyscraper in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, will house the world's first Armani Hotel, and Giorgio Armani is also designing the interior of the skyscraper proper.Giorgio Armani is set to launch an airline within the next three years.Called Armani/Air the airline will operate a high quality service in two class aircraft.The premium cabin will be called Prive/Air and will feature individual passenger cabins.The airline will fly initially from Milan and Rome to New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Dubai and Tokyo.List of fragrances
- Armani Code
- Armani Mania
- Acqua Di Giov
- Emporio Armani
- Acqua Di Giov
- Armani Le Perfum
- Armani Code
- Emporio Armani
- Emporio Armani Diamonds (Beyonce Knowles)
List of books: Giorgio,Armani